Nathan F. Garrett
Nathan Garrett entered private practice following a distinguished 15-year law enforcement career as a state and federal prosecutor and Special Agent with the FBI during which time he investigated and prosecuted many high profile national and international fraud, tax, money laundering, counter-terrorism and national security matters, including the largest terrorism financing trial in U.S. history.
Nathan applies his unique experience and judgment, derived from years of extensive interaction with all levels and divisions of law enforcement across the United States and abroad, to his current representation of individual and corporate clients facing federal and state criminal, civil or regulatory investigations and litigation.
A former prosecutor in Texas and Missouri, Nathan divides his time between the firm’s Kansas City and Dallas offices, where he works on behalf of public and private businesses, and executives and individuals nationwide, on a wide range of domestic and international matters, including:
• Domestic and overseas tax fraud investigations (defense and voluntary disclosures)
• Criminal, civil and regulatory healthcare fraud investigations
• Intellectual property related offenses
• SEC civil and criminal enforcement actions
• Department of Justice-led domestic and international investigations and prosecutions, including international bribery and kickbacks (FCPA)
• Investigations of federal contractor fraud and mismanagement with Department of Defense and other federal contracting agencies (defense and voluntary disclosures)
• Import/export and international financial transactions and related sanctions investigations by federal enforcement, including the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
• Defense of companies/executives in large-scale Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) actions
• Prosecution and defense of civil fraud cases, including False Claims Act (“qui tam” and “whistleblower”) cases involving suspected fraud against the United States
• International and domestic corporate compliance (assessment and plan implementation)
• Internal investigations and due diligence, including full forensic capabilities as required
• Prosecution and defense of fraudulent commercial/business bank account takeovers (representing banks and victims)
• Liaison with law enforcement on behalf of businesses seeking prosecutorial action against perpetrators of fraud
• Select business litigation, including investigation-related liabilities and intellectual property recovery and loss actions
Nathan has successfully represented high and low profile businesses, executives and individual clients through their most challenging times, while being keenly aware of the impact investigations can have on business brands and individual reputations at all levels. Nathan brings the same passion and commitment from his years in law enforcement to his private clients, ensuring they receive the best, most capable and credible representation available.
Nathan is recognized as a “Super Lawyer” and “Top Attorney” by his peers and is a past recipient of the Department of Justice’s Distinguished Service Award, one of the Department’s most coveted honors.
Nathan has been a frequent speaker and panel member for government and private conferences and seminars across the country.
Nathan’s professional experience and accomplishments as a state trooper, state prosecutor, FBI Special Agent and federal prosecutor have assured him that success is earned by hard work, focused attention to detail, and seasoned and experienced judgment. Please call if your company or personal situation demands this level of commitment.
As a federal prosecutor, Nathan served as Chief of the National Security and Terrorism Section in the United States Attorney's Office for the Western District of Missouri, and as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of Texas.
Nathan also served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney while serving as a Special Agent for the FBI, where he worked a wide range of federal crimes, including tax offenses, general and cyber fraud, immigration and customs offenses, and kidnappings and other violent and reactive crimes. Prior to his federal service, Nathan was a Missouri State Trooper and a county prosecutor.
Nathan lives in Kansas City with his wife and two children. He is an avid pilot, antique firearms collector and antique motorcycle enthusiast.
Nathan F. Garrett
Direct Dial: (816) 285-3052
Fax: (816) 817-1216
Graves Bartle Marcus & Garrett, LLC
1100 Main St Suite 2700
Kansas City, MO 64105